Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Measure of Success

The scale said I lost 4.4 lbs. and that means I lost the pounds I gained the week before and dropped another 1.4. I'll take it!

I really am thrilled with the weight loss, but to be honest, I was prepared to be thrilled no matter what the scale said, because I've learned from experience that the scale has a tendency to talk smack. There are a lot of times when, despite my best efforts, the scale mocks me with a weight gain or no change and I've worked way too hard this past week to let the number on the scale be the only thing that defines my success. (The number itself is massive enough on it's own that I found myself repeatedly yelling, "Rookie!" whenever they posted the weight of one of the players while watching the Super Bowl.)

I know that the scale is the standard to measure how successful you are when you are trying to be healthier because after all, you are trying to "lose weight" and the scale measures weight. But a scale doesn't measure family disasters, Super Bowls, hormone swings, or discounts on chocolate cherry juju hearts. When you're a food addict, some credit should be given for surviving life's challenges without reverting to old habits. I survived the first three pretty well this week and struggled with the fourth (have you ever HAD a chocolate cherry juju heart?!...) but even in my darkest moments, I was able to get myself through without emptying the pantry. That should count for something.

Another thing the scale doesn't take into consideration is what I could have eaten versus what I actually did eat. This week I should get credit for not eating all-you-can-eat steak fries at Red Robin. I didn't have any of the to-die-for chocolate chip cookies one of our teachers brought to school. I didn't take a Snickers bar that was offered to me by the administration, and I've already shared with you just a few of the things I didn't eat during the Super Bowl.  I have to look at that as success even though with all of those refusals, I should have lost twenty pounds.

I also worked out with my trainer to the point that I nearly had to crawl across concrete to get back to my car, and I worked it in the water to Lady Gaga and Katy Perry as one of the only dark-hairs (dyed, but still...) among the blue-hairs at water aerobics. That should be another twenty pounds!

So while I'm happy with the scale this week, I give myself a big pat on the back for making a pretty focused effort. Well, I would if I could actually reach my back to pat it.

There's another goal to work towards...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I was super discouraged by my weigh in this. I had worked so hard and gained 1 pound. It sucked and it made me want to come home and binge. Thanks for reminding me that although the number was not what I wanted, I had a good week and learned alot. Keep up the good work and keep blogging because it helps me look at things differently. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! Remember, I'm doing this after all my kids are grown. You're doing this when you're cooking for your family and providing treats for your kids - SO much more difficult, but you're doing it! I was inspired by your Dorito craving this week and how you handled it (especially when my intial advice was to allow yourself a pig-out). It's times like that you need the scale to congratulate you and when it doesn't, the gut reaction is to binge in frustration. So congratulate yourself on keeping things under control and look forward to the day when the scale will have to finally acknowledge your awesomeness! In the meantime, know that you are incredible NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Julie!!! Take the 4.4 lbs and smile. At least it's not 4.4 gained, right? You are an inspiration to many...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you both! My aide at school is working with Weight Watchers and was so disappointed to have only lost miniscule amounts after working so hard. In her case, she and her doctor think part of the difficulty is due to her antidepressants not "allowing" her to lose the weight.

    I'm proud of you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scale can truly be a rude little character! I know that it tells you absolutely nothing about how your body will start to change, and turn "fat pounds" into "muscle pounds". I've had to remember to take it all in - how my clothes are fitting, how I feel, etc - and not depend so much on the scale. Every time I've dieted, it never shows on the scale for several weeks, then, I'll suddenly lose 3 or 4 pounds. It doesn't make sense to me, but that seems to be the route my body takes. Reading your blog reminds me that I'm not alone in the battle! Thanks! :) You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree! Sometimes the scale is just not your friend! But 4.4 is great for a week! And I totally give you a pat on the back for doing so good. Passing up delicious food, especially desserts is SO hard. I can pass on fried food anytime, but homemade chocolate chip cookies....THAT is hard work and serious commitment right there!

    ReplyDelete