Monday, February 20, 2012

Big Fat Thanks

My heart is as big as my bum right now and I'm not talking cardiomegaly (I wasn't smart enough to know the medical term for an enlarged heart but I was resourceful enough to look it up...). I am completely overwhelmed at the positive comments and support I have received from so many of you whether it has been here on the blog or on my Facebook page, or even when I have run into a few of you at the gym, the pool, the grocery store, work, church, etc. I am truly not alone in my battle with food, weight, and addictive behaviors and I appreciate so much the words of advice, the helpful hints, and the encouragement I receive virtually every day.

After a week that started out with food love, your reminders that someone actually reads this blog shoved me back into focus and the net results are a 3 pound weight loss! I cut back significantly on many of my "good" foods that were loaded with sodium, and I also spent time at the gym and at the pool. After seeing a loss, I'm really happy that after a couple of days of excess, I didn't trash the rest of the week thinking all was lost. That's a definite improvement over times past, and I'm giving full credit to Internet accountability.

So, as they say, thanks from the bottom of my butt...it's a lot bigger than my heart!

5 comments:

  1. Yippee! I was in town this weekend, but it was a short trip and my dad had many tasks. I'm hoping to stop by during spring break, if you're available...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're probably going to be out-of-town over spring break, at least ours, anyway. Northern Utah is often different from us, though, so I'm hoping that's the case and we can get together. There's something so wrong about the fact that I can up there frequently and you come down here often and yet we never see each other. That must change...

      Delete
  2. Julie--The ladies at the office told me about your blog. I just had a chemo treatment yesterday, and am feeling kind of yucky, so I decided to read your blog. You are so funny & inspiring, and the most amazing writer--I think you have the beginnings of a book deal here! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and talents with me and with others. I, too, am struggling a little with weight issues. I've put on about 20 pouns the past year with all my surgeries and chemo. You usually think of cancer patients as looking like Auschwitz victims--not me. When I'm feeling down about the weight, I try and remind myself that fat is a good thing right now in my life, but it's still hard. Thank you for your reminders of "moderation" and the good example you are sharing with your challenges. We all have good and bad days, and your determination to get back onto the wagon again and again is what it's all about. I'm happy for you and wish you much success. I'll be following you and cheering you on faithfully. Love, Kim Iverson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim! It's soooo great to hear from you and to hear that you're doing well! Your challenges put everything in perspective. Bottom line is that we should always be striving to be the very best we can be, under whatever circumstances, in every way we can. That doesn't mean we have to be the best in every way, just the best we can be at any given time. Thank you for reminding me of that. You are amazing and let's all keep fighting!

      Love, Julie

      Delete
  3. I'm totally proud to know you Julie. I'm currently 50 pounds over my high school twig self, and i don't recognize myself in the mirror...and I'm in the not ready to do anything about it phase, so your blog helps me see that I can get there! I know...small and insignificant first world problem. But your struggles really do help me feel like i'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete